Saturday, July 21, 2012

Another Day in Paradise...

It's Saturday and I'm so far behind on keeping up with this blog so will quickly recap... so last Sunday I decided I would drive (in my sweet BMW) up to a hotel by Heathrow so I could meet the team when they landed early on Monday. Got the most amazing run in that evening before I headed out at 8pm.I decided I should stop at Stonehenge as that would likely be more only opportunity to see it so I planned an extra hour for the diversion. Long story short, found my way to Stonehenge at 10pm so it was dark as well as closed. Note to all who planned to make a visit in the future, it opens at 9am and closes at 7pm. There actually were a few security guards walking around the area. I saw the structures but it was after the sun went down. Continued on my way and ended up at Heathrow after midnight. Was in bed at 1:30am. After all that you would have thought I would have been exhausted but I didn't fall asleep until 3 only to be awoken at 5:30 by my alarm. The team landed at 6:30 and I was there to meet them coming out of customs and baggage claim. Well, it was me and mega media as this was one of the first teams to be arriving. I was even interviewed by BBC although I doubt my uneloquent blubbering made the cut. A few of our athletes and coaches did make the news that night and have been included in footage that BBC is using to show arrivals. Team got in uneventful and we shipped them via LOCOG transport to the London Village as they would stay a night in London to experience that before heading to Weymouth. I was on a bus with all the team baggage back down to Weymouth.

Once back to Weymouth we got all the bags unpacked and into the specific house each athlete as staying in. Pretty easy task as most items the sailors have been leaving in the Shed the last few years. That night was fairly quiet as most staff and athletes were in London for the night. There were about 6 unaccredited staff in Weymouth getting things in order so I was able to join them for dinner.


Our Village Housing.

The UPS Logistics Men helping me with my baggage, figuratively & literally.

The Village. The US flag blew down the first day I was there and I very gently but adamantly asked it be up before the team arrived.

No comments:

Post a Comment